Learning to Sail



Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than those you did.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the wind in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
~ Mark Twain

Though I spent almost my entire life watching the many moods of the sea from my windows at home in Bombay, it never occurred to me that those waters had so much more to offer. The First Indian kindled my passion for sailing. 

A few sails out in the Bombay harbour, off the Gateway of India were followed by a basic sail training session on a J24 with Lobo Sails (thanks Ayesha!). A fortuitous move to Goa allowed quality time on INSV Mhadei and the opportunity to learn dinghy sailing as well.

Sailing the J was a breeze, with the only challenge being manouvering the boat, on sail, out of the harbour and then figuring the right place to anchor her on our return. The presence of a trainer and a tindal (sailing assistant) made the whole thing an exercise in luxury. Yes I learnt some but what I did later taught me more.

Sailing a Topper off Hawaiian Beach, Goa
Dinghy sailing is child's play for the more seasoned sailors. But I found that a dinghy is a great way to drive home the basics of tide and wind and help in figuring them more intuitively. When I saw the pictures a fellow enthusiast took, I also realised just how close to the water line one sails in a topper.

Most of my quality time however has been on the Mhadei. And I have had the good fortune to watch Dilip train six young naval women officers to become confident sailors, ready to take on the Southern Ocean in their quest to circumnavigate the world later this year. 

Every time the team left on a sortie, I wanted to sail with them, offering to stowaway till they were way out at sea. Of course, that never happened but perhaps that desire fed my dream and pushed me towards Clipper.

Payal, Vartika, Pratibha, Vijaya, Aishwarya, Swati
All of these escapades gave me a taste for sailing and some amount of 'sea time'. But, I know I'm a rookie and even as I write I wonder if I've bitten off more than I can chew!? The training is tough and the Atlantic crossing from Rio to Cape Town is known to have rough seas.

The best I can do really is to prepare myself physically and mentally. To up my stamina and improve my core I've been gymming regularly and cycling most mornings. Most days, I supplement it with yoga. I've increased my protein intake and started on vitamin supplements. Mentally though, I need all the support I can get. So all you friends out there, spare a thought for me! 

But hey, nothing ventured, nothing won! Like my brother, Tanmay said "It's going to be gruelling but fulfilling."
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Level 1 Clipper training

Level 2 Clipper Training

Landfall in Cape Town